Monday, September 1, 2008

THE ECLECTIC CLERIC - “Rest Assured”

***


Amidst all my idle summer daydreams of sailboats and red convertibles, the anticipated return of my One True Passion is looming just over the horizon. It's hard to believe it, but Labor Day weekend is nigh upon us, and that on Sunday September 7th our regular Church Program Year begins again at First Parish with the celebration of our Annual Ingathering Water Ceremony. My travels this summer have been less geographical and more of the metaphorical/inspirational variety, but I have a great title for my homily that first Sunday which reflects my inner journey: "From the Banks of the River Jordan to the Sheep Pool at Bethesda, God's Gonna Trouble the Water." (for those of you who feel the need to be forewarned, my texts will be Genesis 32:22-32 and John 5: 2-9.)

And then the following Sunday, September 14th, I'll be preaching on a topic I suspect may very well prove the theme of this entire year: "Progress, not Perfection." This was a motto one of my Oncology Nurses wrote on the white board in my room at the Gibson during my month-long hospitalization there last Spring, and it has certainly inspired me many times in the many months since. The progress that I've made since those days is considerable, yet "perfection" is likewise still a far sight down the road. But don’t expect me to preach that entire sermon now! You'll be hearing it in church (or maybe reading it on the web) soon enough.

Another thing that happened over the summer was that I filed a Long Term Disability claim under the terms of my UUA group insurance, which I recently learned has been approved. This basically means that I am now free to work as much or as little as I am able, while at the same time freeing up some payroll money that would have otherwise gone to compensate me, thus allowing us to bring in other ministers and additional outside help to assist me with the overall ministry of the church.

Again, I won't try to go into all the details here, but we are now in the final stages of assembling a fantastic team of clergy, program and support staff, and volunteer lay leaders who will not only allow us to continue "business as usual," but also represent a real opportunity for us to "take it to the next level." For my own part, for years I've boasted that I have one of those “perfect jobs” -- a job I love so much I can hardly believe I get paid to do it, and which I would gladly do for free if I could afford to. Now I actually get a chance to prove it in front of God and all of you. And with your help, I'm confident we can make it happen.

Last Spring, when I was suddenly and unexpectedly hospitalized after Easter, the amazing amount of affection and support I received from this congregation was truly overwhelming. I was especially proud of those of you who stepped up and came forward to help fulfill a few of my many ministerial duties: the members of the Worship Committee, our Office Staff, Church Officers and Governing Board Members, members of various Committees, the Greeters, the Ushers, and so many others who went the extra mile to make certain that when both Neighbors & Strangers arrived at our doors on Sunday mornings, they received the same quality experience of First Parish that they might have had I been here to greet them and lead them in worship myself.

And I also know (and appreciate) just how challenging this was, and how hard you all worked to complete that task successfully. You all did good, and you deserve both ample praise and a chance to put up your feet and take a rest. So consider this the first installment on the former; as for the latter, I hope that you all will rest assured that a little hard-earned rest is indeed assured. But let’s not plan on resting too long. There’s still plenty more work for us to do. And now that I’m feeling better rested myself, I can hardly wait to get back on the job again......twj

No comments: